Sign in to follow this  
Stocko

Layering leads

What do people generally do for layering NE Makina leads?  How many layers do you like to use?  Do you go all the same octave, or put a saw type sound at a lower octave?  Do you include the bassline as part of your melody, or only use it in the bassline yourself.

I have my own way of doing things, but am always looking to learn from others and see what other people do!

• Like 1

Share to:

I don't think there's a right answer for this. I can have anything from 1 layer up to 4 or 5 over different octaves.

Depends on the style you're going for. If it was Hardcore or Hardstyle etc they tend to use a lot of layers to make a huge sound.

Some Makina tracks have very basic leads especially in the old Spanish, like this one

For Spanishy stuff I usually have a Supersaw layer for the power and then another lead or two to give it character, like a voice stab (like in the video above) or a flute, guitar etc something interesting. I might have the bass notes in the melody or I might run them through another sound so I have more control over them, or I might not have the bass notes in the melody at all.

For North East I might just have a big digital sounding lead without the supersaws.

It's really up to you and what sounds good.

• Like 1

Share to: